A summary of the Chinese governement’s 3rd Plenum’s decisions to move forward. Widely seen as a road map for the direction of China for the coming years until the next plenum in all aspects.
– Source : South China Morning Post
1) State Enterprises will have to pay 30% of their profits to the government for social welfare by 2020.
2) Privately capitalised small and medium sized banks to be allowed.
3) Private capital investment in state dominated industries allowed.
4) More competition in the pricing for utilities such as water, petroleum, electricity, transport and telecommunications.
1) Couples will be allowed to have a second child if one of the parents is a single child.
2) Later retirement age studied.
3) Applications for residence in small and medium sized cities to be opened up but the size of permanent populations in big cities will be strictly controlled.
1) Abolish the “re-education through labour” system.
2) Gradual reduction of criminal charges that may lead to death sentences.
3) Legal consultancy system to be created.
GOVERNMENT AND ARMY :
1) Explore ways to set up an official residence scheme
2) Streamline the army and reduce the number of non-combat personnel.
3) Party bosses and chiefs of local graft watchdogs should be nominated by graft watchdogs at superior levels.
4) Study ending the official status of heads of universities, research institutes and hospitals.
5) Clarify the responsibilities of the central and local governments, with the central government focusing on national defense, foreign relations, national security, and setting regulations for national markets.
6) Improve the urban management system.